Another soup that got the male smith word of approval!
I really don’t follow a recipe to perfection. For this one, I didn’t do any hamburger buns, did 2 slices of bacon, cooked the onions, carrot, garlic and celery salt instead of chopped celery, gross, in the bacon grease, yum, used 1lb of ground beef because who measures ground beef by the ounce, didn’t use worcestershire, chopped the carrots rather than grated, didn’t measure the potatoes which weren’t russets, didn’t measure the cheese and that’s about it, haha!!
- 3 hamburger buns, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk, or more, as needed
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, celery, carrots and Worcestershire. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in potatoes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12-15 minutes. Stir in ground beef, cheese, salt and pepper, to taste. If the soup is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with croutons, bacon and chives, if desired.