I had been wanting to make bagels for quite the while. I had made them once with my friend Margaret of Pure Pearl Homestead but that was only once! And bagels don’t last long! I had the windows open, seedlings warming on the windowsill, house tidied up and went to making these easy bagels this morning!
1 tbsp instant yeast
4c flour (I used white)
1 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2c warm water
2 quarts water
2tbsp brown sugar
1. Combine all the dough ingredients in a mixing bowl and knead vigorously by hand (or stand mixer with dough hook) for 10 minutes
2. The dough will be stiff. Place dough in greased bowl, and cover with a towel. Let rest for 1.5hrs. This is to relax the gluten, rather than have it rise. It will rise a bit.
3. Transfer dough to work surface and divide into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth, round ball. This would be the time to add raisins, chocolate chips, etc. Cover with dish towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
4. While the dough is resting, prepare water bath by heating the water and brown sugar to a gentle boil in a wide pan. Preheat oven to 425.
5. Use your pointer finger to poke a hole through the center of each all, then twirl the dough on your finger to stretch the hole until it is about 2″ in diameter. They will puff up considerably once you boil them. Place bagel on parchment lined paper or greased cookie sheet. Repeat with all bagels.
6. Transfer bagels to simmering water. Increase the heat to bring the water to a good oil. Cook for 2 minutes, and then flip and cook 1 minute more. Remove from water, and place back on cookie sheet and repeat with remaining bagels.
7. Bake the bagels for about 20-25 minutes, or until browned to your preference. (I flipped them and let them brown a bit on the other side). To top with seeds, remove from the oven after about 15 minutes, brush with water, and sprinkle with seeds. Return to oven to finish baking.
8. Cool on rack for a few minutes and serve warm!
Most recipes have step by step photo instruction but it drives me nuts trying to find the recipe at the bottom, while the pics are still loading and then moving you all over the place! Soooo pictures are after the recipe from me!!